My Version of Channa Chaat
Channa Chaat is a healthy and delicious starter. It's a popular street food in northern part of India.
I combine other street food elements to may chaat. I like the crunchiness and the different textures that these ingredients give. This mouthwatering dish is crispy, sweet, tangy and spicy, I add papri and puffed rice and sev to the classic dish.
2 tins of chickpeas
2 chopped tomatoes
¼ Imbli /Tamarind block
2 tbsp. of sugar
2 green chilli finely chopped
Large potato boiled and chopped
Chaat masala 1 tbsp. or to taste
Salt if needed
Lemon/lime juice 3 tbsp.
Cup of water
I tbsp. of vegetable oil
Chopped fresh coriander leaves.
2 tbs. of fine sevia and puffed rice mixture
1. Soak the tamarind in a cup of water for a few minutes. Place it in a pan and allow it to boil. Turn the heat down and simmer for 10 minutes.
2. Add 2 tbsp. of sugar and cook for few minutes.
3. Strain the tamarind keep the sauce for the chaat and discard the waste.
4. In a saucepan add the oil and fry the chopped onions until slightly soft
5. Add the drained chickpeas, the chopped tomatoes, and the chopped chillies. Chaat masala to taste,
the tamarind sauce and the lemon/lime juice. Mix everything together for a few minutes until the spices have blended.
6. Add the potatoes and stir them in gently.
7. Allow the chaat to cool down before serving
8. Just before serving add the broken paper and sprinkle the sevia and puffed rice mixture on top.
8. Garnish with fresh coriander
9. Additional sauces like tamarind chutney or a green chutney can be served alongside.